what's one more month?

Sunday, October 21, 2018


the nurse returned my call.
i have an appointment with the doctor later this month and as a result, she doesn't think it would be appropriate to pursue any treatments this month. wait and see what the doctor prescribes, she says.

my heart tightens and i close my eyes to stem the tears.
waiting...again.
stupid blunted surges. fuck!

i'm angry and frustrated. the polypectomy this past summer hasn't resolved my heavy menstrual cycle and i can feel my flow gushing freely. wearing the heavy pads and using the ultra absorbent tampons isn't stopping the blood from soaking through my pants either. lovely. just lovely.

and now, my ovulation cycles aren't firing off, though a common reality in women my age.

but, one more month? i've come this far, having taken the tests, completed the recommended surgery, selected and ordered my donor sperm...and yet, i'm still in a holding pattern. i had hoped that i would have at least had a few treatments by now, but obviously the universe thinks otherwise. 

my body is simply not in its optimal state - that's the reality. too many years of stress, emotional eating, trauma and recovery, have taken its toll and in truth, i'm a bit of a mess. and like many woman in my situation and age, the ticking clock is loud, which doesn't help our anxiety levels. patience isn't an ally in this case.

as i flip through my photo album, i find a picture that i took a few summers ago. in my parking spot, a lone plant grew from out of the pavement. despite the harsh urban setting, nature still found a way to adapt, grow and flourish. i remember, at the time, being in awe of the seed's resilience to set roots and its audacity to thrive alone in concrete.

so let's look at this from a different perspective, i tell myself. yes, the odds are against me, but it gives me one more month to continue with my commitment to do better by my body - focus on my physical health. eat cleaner, lose some weight, and lower my blood pressure. and yes, the doctor might have some other recommendations to help things along and those are all positives. 

so, what's one more month?
it's a gift in time to set the stage for adaptation.

i can do it.
i have to do it.
and i'm not afraid to do it.

because i'm a priority in my life.
for the first time in a long time, i want something badly enough to make it happen.
because i have to believe that in making this choice, miracles will happen.
and...i just want the one miracle.
.

You Might Also Like

0 comments