Summer of Bliss...

Wednesday, August 27, 2014


It's been a fairly dreary, wet and cold summer, but now that we've reached the last week of August, Summer has finally perked up and the hot humid days and nights have returned, drinking in every last minute of what time remains of Summer.

I don't blame Summer - I'm doing the same thing.  I've been reflecting on all the adventures I've enjoyed these past few months against what I had hoped to do, what I've learned from the experiences, and what more can I do with what is left of Summer.

At the start of the summer, I created my Summer of Bliss list as a way to reconnect with my whimsical self and to embrace the present:

  1. Jump off a Bridge (incomplete - a few weeks after I completed my list, the local police posted a warning - $200 fine for anyone caught jumping off the bridge into the river - need to find a new bridge).
  2. SkyZone (incomplete - but activity scheduled for this week - I'm going to jump on the trampolines until I am breathless).
  3. Water Park (incomplete - but I plan to attend before the park closes for the season).
  4. Speeddating (completed - I committed myself to get out of my box and challenged myself to meet new people. Matches lined up and moving along my personal journey to engage my authentic self).
  5. Camping (completed - it was for one night, but it was nice to be surrounded by nature, kayaking on the lake, swimming at the locks and simply slowing down).
  6. Read 10 books (incomplete - I've read one book so far)
  7. Attend local festivals (completed - attended the Garlic Festival, Cheese Curd Festival and the Opening of a new Park).
While my Type A self would have judged my performance harshly, my authentic self has learned not to be as critical - in fact, it's the opposite.  I am in awe of the things that I have done this summer (of what is and isn't on the list). I didn't travel to any destinations or go to the East coast, but instead I packed my bags and my faithful westie, hit the road with no road map, plan or itinerary. I put my trust in the universe. Along the way, I discovered new things - the character and charm of small towns, my need and love of being near the water, spent time by the riverbank, watched the sunset...and along my travels, I became aware of something.  I loved the sense of freedom I have regained and appreciated the "now" that followed me wherever I went.  

I also spent time in the garden - it grounds me and gives me the space to dig deep to the root of what I'm trying to work through.  This summer in particular, I consciously chose to reconnect with my younger self - recalling what she used to do, her hopes, her dreams. I even hopped on a bike to run an errand and re-discovered how much I loved riding...the sense of independence, feeling alive and being fearless! As a young woman, I spent hours riding my bike - with no regular bus service and with no drivers licence, it was my only means of travel in my small little town - and I would often ride well into the night, happy to be out watching the stars and the moon. It was also how I kept in shape.  

If I were given the chance to repeat these past 8 weeks, I wouldn't change much...it has been the most rewarding summer for me in a long time...the kind of summer I used to dream of. I loved the time I spent with myself, re-connecting to both my essensual and whimsical selves and I have author Sarah Ban Breathnach's to thank.  Her book Romancing the Ordinary: A Year of Simple Splendors has been my main source of inspiration for my Summer of Bliss.

As for not completing all that I had planned, Sarah writes:
"Plenty of time left for a summer fling."
And so that is what I plan to do - to continue and complete as much as I can before the leaves change and fall beckons me to spend time with her.



You Might Also Like

0 comments