Commitment to me

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I'm struggling with this blog today. But despite how I feel, I'm tackling the task of writing and continuing my reflection on Commitment. 

When my friend Jason Billows, leadership and life coach, explored the results of my Wheel of Life Assessment, I remember saying how I felt my lack of success in relationships was due to my inability to commit. But Jason didn't see it that way, "You are one of the most committed people I know! You're committed to your friends, your family, your job. You are capable of commitment!" Since that initial talk, I've always been intrigued about his perception of me, but more curious as to why I wasn't able to grasp and see it his way. Then I came across this article by Mary Pritchard: Making a Commitment to Myself and what she learned in reading Heidi Reeder's book Commit to Win and it was a Bazinga moment. I'm going to put this book on my reading list, but as Mary revealed herself in her post, I was drawn to every description of how she perceived her commitment to herself. I could relate - on every level - as Mary revealed her own behavioural patterns and thoughts to Heidi's four elements of commitment. I saw myself reflected in Mary's words. And though at first it was unnerving and it touched a raw place within, I also felt a sense of relief as now I had a starting point to work from to change and make things happen.

1. What do you Value?
For me to make a commitment to myself, I need to take a good, hard look not only at what I value about me, but whether I value me as a person...although I value myself generally and think of myself as someone with a positive sense of self, when it comes to romantic relationships all bets are off...when it comes to work of friends, I value me for me. When it comes to romantic relationships, my self-worth flies out the window.
As a person, I channel my positive energy towards my work, friends and family.
As a woman who has endured manipulation as a young teen to the woman raped in her own house, I devalued myself and my body by detaching and disassociating. For the longest time, I've kept both the person self and the woman self separate but in order to understand what it means to commitment to myself, I need to find a way to bring the two selves into one being, one self. The person self is just as important as the woman self and deserves equally success and happiness. To achieve this, I am working on daily practices that help me acknowledge and validate this so that in time, I am able to take the blinders off and see what others see and value in me. I want to be whole and connected to all that is around me and within me.

2. What's Holding You Back?
So why can't I commit to myself? Do I think I'm more trouble than I'm worth?  I fully admit that I am my own worst enemy. I have a habit of criticizing instead of praising myself; seeing the mistakes instead of the successes. 
In recent weeks, I have had two people whose opinions and thoughts I value, tell me in clear and honest terms that I am too hard on myself.  I expect too much of myself. I need to let go.  These are things that have been said to me before, but this time, I was open to receive the message and it hit its target. My mind was stunned into stillness and the words resonated within, echoing and vibrating all throughout my body while my heart danced its little jig. As mentioned in my previous post "a commitment you can walk away from isn't really a commitment - it's a commitment with a backdoor." My mind - resident judge and critical parent - is my own worst enemy and fancies it and only it knows what is best for me, which has made it difficult for me to shut them out and stay true to the path I have started on. Learning how to self-forgive is something I continue to not only relieve the burden, but to break open the vaults of secrets and to be free.

3. How Much Have You Given?
We were raised to believe that we should give to everyone else -- take care of everyone else -- before we take care of ourselves...at the end of the day, we have nothing left to give...but if you can't commit to give to you, to take care of you, then pretty soon you have nothing left but a broken shell of who you used to be.
When you are running on empty, it's easy to walk all over your self-worth and out the backdoor. And there are ways to cope with stress, anxiety, and challenges - which can be a good thing - but for me, these coping mechanisms end up also becoming my barriers I hide behind. Recently, when out with friends, I excused myself early on in the night saying I had to get home to take care of my dog.  My friend looked at me and said, "So your dog - he's your baby? your boyfriend? your son? your husband? your lover?" Ouch! I hadn't realized I had become so transparent! And yet I give - I give of my time, consideration, money for everyone else (especially my job) and hold myself accountable - with a skewed sense of a personal honour code - but this never gets translated to anything I do for myself.  

4. What Are Your Alternatives?
Up until recently, I went for the alternative to making a commitment to myself. I made commitments to everyone else...but to commit to me? No, thank you. if you commit to yourself and rely on yourself, when who are you going to blame when things go wrong...of course, I blamed myself anyway - for my own problems and everyone else's as well. 
As a woman, I identify strongly in the role of a rescuer and nurturer. As a professional, I identify strongly as a leader, facilitator, and contributor. I've never considered any other alternative. And when I do, I'm riddled with guilt. Why not give into romancing my self?  Why not give into whimsy?  Why not give into my senses? My alternative has always been to do things that keep me in the captain's chair - to be in control - all because I would prefer to manipulate myself as a way to retreat and stay safe, to never be helpless again or vulnerable. But this alternative has kept me limited in my life choices, and I'm itching to get to the other side and see how much greener the field is on the other side of the bridge. 


Commitment is something that I've been sitting with for the past few weeks -  I see this act as someone appreciating a really good cigar or scotch - as I ponder on what commitment means to me, I'm enjoying the discovery of its fullness in texture, colours, flavours. While I have a number of interests and things I want to do, I've created a list of things I've committed to doing as a way to invest in me. 

  • Making my home a home - after 6 years of living in my condo, I believe it's time I acknowledge that I am living here and not planning on moving anytime soon.  And if I do, who cares! I want to claim this space as my own - and as I browse and research different styles and designs, I'm learning to listen and trust my gut what I want and how I want to transform this space, as well as discovering my own tastes and personality.  I've started by declutttering, buying a few furniture pieces but more importantly, I've put a nail in my wall to hang a picture - this to me has always been a representation and test of what commitment means to me.
  • Shedding the pounds - I'm nearing the big 4-0, and so I've made a commitment to lose 40 lbs before my milestone birthday. I've reached 25% of my goal so far and it's been an amazing feeling to have that goal and also having the dogged determination to want it as well. I've faltered and fallen off the wagon, but I'm not going to let myself stand there as the wagon drives off into the far off distance. I'm totally capable of catching up to that wagon and jumping back on. 
  • Connecting with my self - This is a category that I've grouped a number of hobbies and interests but with the main thread of connecting to my self and continuing to peel back the dead layers so that there is more room to breathe and grow - yoga as a way to connect me to my body and surrounding energies, reading to connect with my mind, writing/painting/music to connect with my creativity, wearing dresses to connect with myself as a woman, to go out at least once a week and do something without my dog so that I'm meeting new people, and so on. I'm doing this to honour a friend who has struggled but lives with such grace and had I been in her place, I don't know if I could have coped. And so for her, I use these daily practices to understand and perfect the art of imperfection, to be comfortable with my vulnerability, and to continue healing.   

What and how are you committed to yourself?


You Might Also Like

0 comments