The Wheel of Life Assessment

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

As I'd mentioned before, I really did believe that I could handle all the curve balls with a healthy dash of Xena and Oprah - mimicking strong women in control of their lives, successes and destiny. In my youth, I never sought help (although in hindsight I remember a campus doctor asking me if I wanted to speak with a counselor after I had described a date rape incident. I brushed her comment aside. I now wish she had been more insistent that I speak with someone).

Part naivety, part ignorance, I never read anything on the subject of rape, abuse, victimization or how one really heals from such traumatic experiences. It was definitely not discussed openly among friends and family. Instead I smiled through the pain, laughed when I was numb and lived for everyone but myself. When I was feeling low, I had friends tell me I was a Phenomenal Woman and I would read Maya Angelou's poem trying to convince myself I was.

I projected to the world an image of a woman in control of her life, but shame and guilt were like the devils sitting on my shoulders. I was terrified that the world would see through the smoke screen. There's a whole industry now helping those in search of happiness and finding their way to a more fulfilling life. I have a handful of friends and colleagues who have become certified life coaches or leadership consultants. One day, one of them offered me a free consultation and I thought to myself, "What have I got to lose?" 

The Wheel of Life, The Coaches Training Institute
I was given some homework to complete before our meeting - the Wheel of Life assessment. The Wheel covers eight areas:

  • Physical Environment
  • Career
  • Family & Friends
  • Significant Other/Romance
  • Fun & Recreation
  • Health
  • Money
  • Personal Growth

Rating myself in each of these categories with an honest perspective was hard. How I see and feel about myself is different from how I want the world to see me. My ratings ranged between 6 and 10...all except for one area of my life. After I completed the wheel, I sat back and looked at the flow - for the most part, it looked stable. Except there was a blip. Glaring from the page, I faced my shame.

Secret Reveal #3: Significant Other/Romance rating - 1 (lowest score).

My life coach asked me why I had rated Romance with such a low score. But I evaded his questions and talked in circles - I wasn't comfortable sharing my secrets with him.

When it came to romantic relationships, I was in denial and never confronted or acknowledged my past, which created a warped sense of what I wanted in a relationship and what part I played in a relationship:

  • "What's the point?" - my attitude when it came to dating, relationships and sex, creating the destructive cycle where I would find myself with someone unsuitable further chipping away at my self-respect and self-worth.
  • "I could rescue him! Then comes need, then comes love!" - my approach as I tried to validate my worth in a relationship, but I would still remain hopelessly distant as I didn't believe love was possible.
  • "He must be powerful and heroic like Christopher Reeve's Superman/Clark Kent; honourable, just and good like Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch; boyish, devoted and loyal like Anne Shirley's Gilbert Blythe; funny and good father like TV Dads Dan Connors, Tim Taylor, or Steven Keaton; he must also appreciate the arts; and bonus points if he plays hockey!" - my impossible dream man living on a pedestal, can't possibly exist but I would keep looking and comparing.
  • "I'm too busy" - I would keep myself busy with work and an active social life to prove that nothing was missing in my life.

I've always put ME last on the priority list - artists/causes, work, friends and family came first - so I never really dealt with my past experiences with abusive and manipulative men, nor the impact it had on me as a woman, both body and spirit. So many barriers - clearly irrational - but fully ingrained in my beliefs about myself.

I didn't continue my sessions with my life coach - he's an executive leadership coach - not quite the coaching I needed to help with my healing process, but he was gracious and respectful when I informed him I needed to seek help elsewhere. But I'm happy - the Wheel of Life assessment achieved its purpose - I was ready to do anything to raise the score in my romantic life. I was ready to tackle my past.



You Might Also Like

0 comments